Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Survival

In extreme conditions, you must take extreme measures in order to survive. Things that if you had to do them you wouldn't be so eager to tell people. Like eat maggots for protein or, you know... the drink your own pee thing so you don't dehydrate. Well, I don't know, some people do like to brag about strange things. I, however, wouldn't want to brag about either one of those things.



This week I am in the jungle, I am dehydrated and there is nothing but maggots to eat. I am in Mommy Survival Mode. Gotta resort to those things you do, that your not particularly proud of, but you gots to do to make it through. My kids are watching way too much t.v. this week, snacking for meals, I am letting the Deer cry things out more, not being entirely emotionally available, running the air conditioner a lot, partaking in retail therapy other than the thrift stores and using too many paper towels. I know. Some of this stuff is cringe-worthy, may even cause a judgement to be passed. I get it. I am trying hard not to do so myself.

However, my kids are ok. I am ok. I am surviving. 


Why am I telling you this? My not so proud of extreme measures. Because,  life is real, people and guess what? I am alive and living it. All of it. Not just the fun stuff, not just the stuff that makes pretty pictures or great story, but the stuff that ties us together as humans. The moments of struggle where we find comfort in knowing someone else understands. I am right there with ya.


14 comments:

  1. And I shall not be one to pass any judgements...life is not all roses and sunshine and in fact, quite a few thorns can come our way on any given day. Sometimes all we can do is all we can do. As you said...survive. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty sure none of my friends would, but it is so nice to hear that you really don't! Mucho gratitude, Bodhi :)

      Delete
  2. I've eaten my share of maggots!

    I often entertain the thought of getting rid of the t.v., but to be honest, sometimes it's my sanity at getting the kids to calm down when I need a quiet moment. There have been a few times when I've been asked "what's for lunch?" and I've answered "you've been snacking all day".

    We're not perfect. No matter what we see other mom's doing, or what books/websites say is best, sometimes we have to do what is best for OURSELVES just to survive the moment. It may not be ideal, but what's the alternative? A completely stressed out mama with way too much on her plate isn't healthy for anyone in the family. So we have to compromise once in a while.

    Gorgeous you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amanda, you have been a much needed friend lately. It has filled in a lot of cracks in my foundation. xo

      Delete
  3. Not a single judgment passed here. It was a dark day over here as well. But tomorrow is a'comin and I plan to grasp it with both hands. Thank you for your kind and encouraging comments today. It meant so much to know that even in the middle of your jungle you take moments to fill others up. I truly love that about you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the point being is that this is survival mode. this is not your (whatever it is) usual way, your most common rhythm. you're not saying that you don't give a crap, you're saying you gotta do what you gotta do, for now.

    survival mode HAS to remove any ideal we have in our heads, or we go nutso.

    this week there is also too much TV around here (i choose the more educational shows to make some inner peace, lol), because there is TON i have to do and i can't be as available as she likes. she'll get over it. ;)

    hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank goodness for public television. All we watch are educational shows and nature, science survival shows (boys)
      Thank you, Monica, for being a constant voice of loving reason.

      Delete
  5. Survival mode is where it's at....I am thankful for my ability to function it it and also so grateful when the need for it passes. I say...."Keep the paper towels coming" till I can can dig myself out of this "disaster area" that is my house at the moment..haha! ~ Barefoot Mama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you get it, Barefoot Mama. Thanks for stopping in and connecting with me for a moment, reaffirming that we are not alone!

      Delete
  6. Hang in there lady, and thanks for sharing the real. I can always count on you for that. Survival mode is just that, but don't stay in it too long, ok? Otherwise it's just another pathway to feeling like poo poo. Oh great now I have potty mouth.

    I am thinking of you dear Jess, sending you love, hugs, and mama power.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MJ!!! Hey!
      Yes it is a temporary thing, has to be or you're right we create a habit and before we know we feel "safer" in the jungle. Grateful for the love you bring :)

      Delete
  7. I definitely can't judge you for doing what allows you keep your sanity, and survive! I feel like I've been in some degree of survival mode for weeks now, and the compromises on what I would normally, ideally do are just a part of that. Which is okay, because life is not always ideal. Seldom is, really. It's so much easier when you can be gentle on yourself, too - it sounds like you've been able to do just that, at least to some degree, and I'm sure you'll all come out of the jungle better for it.

    Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone has times like that... when I do I always hold onto the fact that nothing is permanent.
    Love and peace to you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for bringing your energy! It fills me up to see your comments xoxo